Friday, October 29, 2010

An Introduction (or, So Why The Extra Blog...)

So I really must have extra time on my hands or I wouldn't be putting up yet another blog to maintain along with my main one The Great Unknown and the one for Dawn Studio Creations, right?

Well. No, not really. To explain it fully, let me digress a little.

I was diagnosed with gluten-intolerance a little over ten years ago when I was still a student in America. When I returned to Malaysia, living gluten-free was such a nightmare I gave up on it for some years since my system could still tolerate small amounts of gluten and not go haywire.

Then I got very, very sick. It was either go back to gluten-free again or be sick my entire life, so I kicked myself into shape and started the long slow process of healing my system.

I could still tolerate small amounts of gluten when I finally healed up, or so I thought.

And then I got badly, badly glutened just after recovering from very bad food poisoning in Vietnam. Every single stomach problem I'd encountered in my readings on celiacs and gluten-poisoning happened to me in one night, just because I'd been accidentally glutened from eating out the night before.

It made me think about celiacs and other gluten-intolerant folks living in Malaysia, and how difficult it could be to find safe food that wouldn't make them ill. I'd spent the last four years of my life hunting for places that sold gluten-free goods but it wasn't easy.

So that's why I started this blog - as a resource for people with dietary allergies like mine or worse.

Hopefully, it will make a difference and a whole lot less hassle for someone else who needs the information badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment