Friday, February 28, 2014

Sunshine, Song, and Soup

Today had it coming.

Not in a bad way, mind. It's been a long week working through last weekend and my off-day, so now that my NEXT off-day has rolled around, I've decided to rest, recharge, and do absolutely nothing that doesn't promise at least a modicum of pleasure.

It sounds selfish, but I've had to learn the hard way that there are times when nourishing the emotional/mental/creative/spiritual you can't be put off. Something essential dies, when you let that part of you wither and fade. It leaves you in limbo, a metaphysical zombie in some respects.

For today, I decided to make Emily's Carrot Soup for the Tired. I'd attempted it quite some time ago, but without the proper ingredients so this time I was curious to see how it would turn out with everything that was supposed to be in it.

It's fantastic! I didn't have carrot juice so I cut up two carrots and put in 1 cup of coconut water + 1 cup water, before adding everything else on the ingredients list: 1 avocado, some chopped ginger, and some coconut flesh from the coconut I'd taken the coconut water from.



The rest was easy - tossing everything into the blender and letting it puree. There wouldn't be any carrot pulp if I used carrot juice as directed, but I don't have a juicer and besides, I like carrot pulp - it gives the soup some texture which I prefer.

The colour is simply gorgeous, and the taste is refreshing and so very energising. Just look at it! Liquid sunshine, practically.



I was going to attempt albondigas as well, but realised I didn't have all the ingredients on hand. Which isn't a problem - I'm just going to bastardise Greek meatballs with albondigas methods, and come up with a hybrid for dinner. I have a ton of dill in the fridge, eggs, and a kitchen.

What's life without singing in the kitchen anyway? It's the equivalent of sunshine in my soul, as cheesy as it sounds but it's my off-day, there is sunshine spilling through the windows, and I am happy. Good enough.

Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen, which is what I'm dancing around to right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment